Rainbow Concoction

"Someday U'll find it, the Rainbow Connection. The Lovers, the Dreamers and Me..." ~Kermit, the FROG

Sunday, September 11, 2005

The world is so much BIGGER out there!?!

Took a cookbook to a neighbourhood shop to get some recipes photocopied. (For the record, I have been interested in italian food lately.)

The cookbook is square in shape. Broader than A4 but so much smaller than A3. Without a thought, the lady in the shop said it is an odd shape and CANNOT be copied unless it is printed on A3 paper. (Cannot!!!??) She will charge slightly more for this size as compared to A4. Natural, since it is a much bigger piece of paper.

However, something really puzzles me. In today's technology, a photocopier comes with reduction mode. Meaning, if you do not want a copy to be made that big, you can easily reduce it to a comfortable size. I wonder why can't she do it. Doesn't she knows of this? (Seriously, I don't think she thought of it.) So I told her to reduce from A3 to A4 and print it on A4 paper. Offering her this suggestion, she stared blankly at me. I wonder if she was shocked by my suggestion or was feeling embarassed by it (cos she must be feeling stupid for not knowing something so simple). I choose the latter since she said it still cost more despite the reduction. I gathered, she needed to save some face. I would have argued but looking at her, I didn't want to waste my breathe. (Pointless.)

The lady in the photocopying shop taught me one thing - Do not think that you have a mountain, and even so, there are many more mountains to conquer and many more things to learn and to see. Simply, don't think a world of your own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home